Monday, October 13, 2008

Woody Allen

I have to say that seeing a Woody Allen film in France is an experience in itself. First off, I had to stand in line for the film. I can not remember the last time I stood in line for a Woody Allen film in the US. The film in question is, Vicky Christina Barcelona, and though this is not a film review, I will go as far to say that I liked it quite a lot, as apparently many Frenchmen. It is interesting that Woody Allen is almost worshiped in France, as is David Lynch. I once saw David Lynch's named used in graffiti in Paris. How is that?! The french really value American greats, those with a particular vision and unique outlook on life. Over the summer there was a Woody Allen film festival along the lines of what was shown in Stardust Memories (perhaps his funniest film ever). After watching Vicky Christina Barcelona with friends, we talked about it while walking, discussing the meaning of moments, or laughing at remembered absurdities. When on form, nothing makes me laugh more than Woody Allen or Peter Sellers, but besides the laughs, there are the after thoughts. The genius of each of these guys is that they make you think. You have to consider what you have just seen ( the performance) and what it all means in the end. Thank god there is Woody Allen around since we no monger have Peter Sellers. In my french class we were asked what characteristic do we value in a person and when a classmate responded humor, I instantly agreed. When the chips are down we want to laugh and right now, globally, the chips are way down...to laugh in the face of these trying times is sexy, amusing, liberating and triumphant. So, laugh, laugh and laugh again. It helps in the end. As we spiral into oblivion, it is nice to feel good along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home