Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Cheap Hat

I thought today, instead of writing about some store or restaurant I like, it would be nice to write about a cheap hat I bought. At the end of the week I am going away for a short holiday in the south of France. Since I am follically limited, head cover has become an essential and since it can get to ungodly hot temperatures in the south, a hat is in order. Now, I did not want to take a good, Havana made fedora since I will be going to the beach, possibly going out to sea on a boat and taking the TGV all the way. Recently I passed by one of the shops in Montmartre and spotted a straw fedora. I went back there today and got one for 12 euros 50. I bought it without looking in a mirror, but trusting it would look fine. I got home, tried it on in the mirror and was a little disappointed. I played around with it, but it was not looking exactly the way I hoped. I took it off and began doing work around the apartment. Later as I was organizing my clothes for my trip, I tried the hat on again. In a different mirror and a different perspective, the hat looked much better on and I could carry it off. It also helped that my dearest said it looked good on me. In a way, I have these kinds of days here in Paris. There are days when things just don't feel quite right. There are times when I understand no one. There are days when I would love to have the city all to myself. There are days when it would be nice to be with old friends and talk face to face. Then the perspective changes. Maybe the light is different and suddenly I can not imagine being in any other place. This can apply to anywhere you are.

I am packing my cheap hat, espadrilles, thin cottons and polos in my old LL Bean tote and heading to Marseille and Toulon. Both are places I have grown incredibly fond of and with some of the nicest people I have encountered in France. Time for the beach, dipping into the Mediteranean Sea and seeing Le Corbusier's Unité d'Habitation are all on the list, as well as eating the freshest seafood ever. Summer getaways, no matter how short, are always a joy and a neccessity. No matter where you go, enjoy it, or has someone once said "No matter where you go, there you are."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home