Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A L'Oriental




A L'Oriental @ Palais Royal- Not to advocate smoking, but there is nothing nicer than the smell of good pipe tobacco. It is sweet, spicy and dark. In a city of smokers, Paris is the only one which I can smell a pipe on the street. It is part of the city scent. I love it. A L'Oriental has been in business since 1818 and it looks it. The place is packed with pipes of every shape and size. You can not believe the stock they have and there must be up in the tens of thousands. They are all beautiful and better and more refined than anything you will find at your local headshop. This place is for real smokers and the pipes are heirloom quality. The shops is tiny but a wonder. It is history.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I found the pouch I obtained there and decided to google it, I'd forgotten the name of the shop. Two years ago now I was on a trip to Paris with my college and I'd always fancied the idea of owning a pipe. I had a look in there, and the owner recommended that I could afford one of the small ones I believe she said they make themselves, it was marked RvK. It was miniature but a brilliant pipe, a great shame when I lost it. I find I often buy small bowled pipes which turn out to be French, they know the value of a pocket pipe.
I would never have got into pipe smoking without this shop, which was very helpful and not in the least snooty!

Monday, August 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home