Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Tower





Here is the obligatory photo of the Eiffel Tower. On my first trip, I was really amazed at how large it is. It truly is gigantic. The Champ de Mars is the park between the Eiffel Tower and the Ecole Militaire. Now, I stood in the middle of this park, frustrated because I was not seeing the classic view of the tower which has been captured in countless photos. As I walked toward the tower and then under it, my eyes were met with a wall of flashes that was almost blinding, even in daylight. I realized I was in the wrong spot. Everyone, but me, knew that the place to stand for "the" shot of the Eiffel Tower is at the Trocadéro. Like a child hypnotized by shiny objects, I followed the flashing cameras across the Seine. Suddenly, out of my trance, I was facing the tower from the other side with all the other people taking in the marvelous site. The Eiffel Tower really is a folly. I mean, it had no real purpose, people hated it and wanted it dismantled. It wasn't till they found a true purpose for it being a radio antenna that the government decided to keep it. It really is an odd thing. On the one hand you can understand the criticisms against it, yet something so strange and original is quite beautiful at the same time. It looks like nothing else before it. Now we know it instantly as Paris. These days, or should I say nights, it has lights on it that sparkle, giving it the appearance of champagne. It is a sight guaranteed to make you smile instantly. I took these photos or a slightly moody day. There was no rain, just clouds. There were not many people around, which is common in the late winter. The Trocadéro itself is quite impressive. A major Art Deco compound, it houses museums and cultural centers as well as a peaceful subterranean park. The buildings are solid and strict, even somewhat cold, yet I am constantly fascinated by them. I suggest going early in the morning or last afternoon/early evening, especially in Summer. At these times, the crowds have not arrived yet and sky can be most incredible. This is probably the most cliché spot I can recommend, but some things are classic for a reason. The Eiffel Tower is one of the true classics.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home